Monday, January 28, 2013

Mashed "Potatoes"

My favorite foods are potato salad, loaded baked potatoes, potatoes au gratin, french fries and MASHED POTATOES. Yeah....naughty, naughty, naughty, and OMG! So, you can understand my grief when I had to say good-bye to spuds. And I'm not going to lie, I may or may not have relapsed a few times. They're just so darn delicious, y'all!! However, I might have found the solution. Drum roll please............cauliflower! Roasted and mashed tastes just like, and dare I say "better," than a heaping mound of glorious taters! And, if my math is correct, they are 12% of the calories in a regular serving of mashed potatoes and have less than 3 grams of fat. As a recovering potato addict, I can honestly say you will not be disappointed!

Mashed "Potatoes"
(Recipe from Now Eat This! by Rocco Dispirito)



Ingredients:
1 large head cauliflower, roughly chopped
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 oz. Greek yogurt (I used Chobani, plain non-fat)
Ground parsley

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
3) Spread chopped cauliflower out on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Place another sheet of foil over the cauliflower and roll up edges to form a sealed package.
5) Roast cauliflower for 20 minutes. Carefully remove top piece of foil and return to oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
6) In a mixing bowl (or food processor for a more pureed consistency), combine roasted cauliflower and yogurt and mash until desired consistency.
7) Season with salt, pepper, and top with a pinch of parsley.


Goes great with Mushroom Meatloaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment