I decided to try a new meatloaf recipe to cut a few calories. I'm trying to load up on protein and this definitely did the trick. I highly recommend this whether you're on the Healthy Train or not. It's easy, it's yummy, and it's good for you. I paired this with some delicious and nutritious Mashed "Potatoes" that I will post next. So hop on board, 'cause this train is bound for glory!
(Recipe from Now Eat This by Rocco Dispirito)
4 oz. portobello mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup egg substitute (I used Egg Beaters)
1/3 cup ketchup (reduced sugar is ideal but all I had was regular ol' Heinz)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cups whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) Place mushrooms in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped; scoop into a large mixing bowl.
3) Place garlic cloves in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add egg substitute and 1 Tbsp of ketchup to chopped garlic and puree until smooth.
4) Add mixture to mushrooms.
5) Add the beef, chopped parsely, panko and salt to the bowl. Season with black pepper to taste.
6) Take off your jewelry and, using your hands, mix ingredients until evenly combined.
7) Place mixture in a greased loaf dish.
8) Spoon remaining ketchup on top and spread evenly.
9) Bake for 18-20 minutes.
10) Let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting into slices.
Makes 4 servings; 212 calories per serving