Monday, March 26, 2012
Mashed Red Potatoes and Garlic Green Beans
8 red or new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp butter (hey, I didn't say this was low-cal)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley for garnish
1) Place potato quarters in large saucepan and add water until covered. Add salt and bring to boil.
2) Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes.
3) Drain water and set aside, covered.
4) In a small saucepan, combine milk, butter, and sugar and warm until butter is melted.
5) Add butter mixture to potatoes and mash until desired consistency is obtained.
6) Stir in lemon zest.
7) Salt and pepper to taste.
8) Garnish with parsley.
Garlic Green Beans
1 package frozen Italian style green beans
2 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1) In a skillet over medium heat, combine beans, olive oil, and garlic.
2) Saute for about 10 minutes.
3) Cover, reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
4) Remove cover, stir and cook another 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
5) Season to taste and top with parmesan cheese.