Monday, March 12, 2012

Orange Chicken

This was my first time trying my hand at Asian cuisine.  The hub had been talking about Chinese food all week and I figured I'd give it a whirl.  Once again, I whipped out the ol' Crock Pot for this one.

Orange Chicken
(Recipe from Six Sisters' Stuff)


Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks
1/3 cup flour
olive oil
1/2 Tbl. salt
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 Tbl. ketchup
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (half can), thawed (I don't use the full 6 oz because it's a little too strong for my liking)
4 Tbl. brown sugar



Directions:
1) In a large bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup.
**With all the leftover OJ, I made Tequila Sunrises!! Mmmmm ;)**

2) In a smaller bowl, pour in the flour and add uncooked chicken chunks.  Cover the chicken in flour and shake off the excess.
3) Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour-covered chicken.  The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it's going in the crock pot.

4) After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot. Then cover the chicken with your sauce mixture and stir.
5) Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3.

Serve with steamed rice or throw some rice in a skillet and fry it up (don't forget the egg!).

Soundtrack:
"We Are Young"- Fun.
"Moneygrabber"- Fitz and the Tantrums
"Go Outside"- Cults

No comments:

Post a Comment