I took this to out friends' cookout along with my pasta salad. I have another mac 'n cheese recipe that takes more ingredients, more time, and isn't as good. This recipe is so simple (you make it in the Crock Pot for crying out loud) and chanced are you already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. The original recipe says it serves 4 people but I'm gonna have to say it's more like 6-8.
Slow Cooked Mac 'n Cheese
(Recipe from A Whisk and a Prayer)
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
1 12-oz can fat free evaporated milk (even if you're not going for healthier, I still recomment FF; regular will most likely curdle)
1/2 stick butter, melted
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I used a 6 cheese Italian blend; the recipe calls for Italian fontina)
1/2 lb penne pasta, cooked and drained
black pepper to taste
Paprika to taste (optional)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
1 Tbsp EVOO
1) Grease inside of slow cooker.
2) Combine milk, evaporated milk, eggs, butter and salt in slow cooker and whisk until smooth.
3) Add the shredded cheese (not the Parmesan) and cooked pasta.
4) Sprinkle with black pepper and Paprika to taste and stir gently with a spatula.
5) Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
6) Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
7) Reduce temperature to LOW and cook for 2-2 1/2 hours.
8) Saute bread crumbs in EVOO and sprinkle on top right before serving.
I transferred the mac 'n cheese into a casserole dish and THEN topped with the bread crumbs. Made it a little fancier and easier to transport in the car.
"The Funeral" by Band of Horses
"The Ballad of Love and Hate" by Avett Brothers
"Displaced" by Azure Ray